Contact Us

Reporting cross-border payments to and from Germany

If you're transferring money to and from Germany, you'll occasionally need to report this to Deutsche Bundesbank, who are responsible for collecting statistics on foreign trade.

All transfers over 12,500€ (and some below this amount) going from Germany to a foreign country, or coming to Germany from a foreign country, need to be reported to the Bundesbank. All reports must be made to the Bundesbank by German residents themselves, and TransferWise cannot do this on your behalf.

A report can be made either by sending an email to or calling +49 800 1234 111. 

Your report needs to include:
  • A statement explaining that this report fulfills the reporting obligations of the Foreign Trade and Payments Regulation (Paragraph 67)
  • Your surname
  • Country the money is being transferred to or received from
  • Purpose of the transfer
  • Your telephone number for further inquiries

Please note that the list above is to give you an idea of the required details but might be incomplete. Please double check the details with the Bundesbank. Further information regarding the reporting procedure can be found in full on Bundesbank's website and in the German Foreign Trade and Payments Ordinance.

Was this article helpful?