How does Transferwise verify my address?
How does Transferwise verify my address?
We might ask to verify your address when you use TransferWise. We’re a financial institution, so we need to know who's using our service and where they live. It helps us combat money laundering, and keep everyone’s money safe.
When we verify your address, we ask you to share a document that has the same address as you list on your TransferWise profile.
Documents we acceptWe'll ask you to provide a high quality photo or scan of a document with your valid address document. It should show:
- Your name: must match the name on your TransferWise profile
- Your full personal address: must match the address on your TransferWise profile
- Date of issue
- A logo, or clear name of the sender: like your bank, your local authority, your utilities provider, etc.
- The nature of the document: like the type of bill, subject of the letter, etc
A valid proof of address document can be:
- Utility bills: gas, electric, or landline phone (no mobile phone bills)
- A bank or credit card statement (photo/scan of a physical letter or PDF of statement)
- A council tax bill, or a HMRC notification
- Vehicle registration or tax
- Photo driving licence showing your address and expiry date
- Any other government or financial institution-issued document
Important information to note:
- Your bank statement, utility bill or council tax bill cannot be older than 3 months
- You can also submit a document from a Local Authority or FCA authorised institution which was issued within the last 12 months. For example, a yearly council tax bill or a letter confirming the opening of a bank account.
- Your address cannot be a PO Box, as this will not be accepted.
- If we have requested an ID document and an address document, these must be separate documents.
- The address proof must be issued to your personal address. We cannot accept address proofs that have been issued to a business
However, there are a few exceptions:
- Sending AUD: you only need to do Interactive Verification. With Interactive Verification theres no need to upload an image of the document. You will only need to enter the documents details. We accept: Australian Passport Number, Australian Drivers License number, or Foreign Passports number with an Australian Working Visa.
- Sending SGD: you'll need to go through our selfie verification. You can read more about this here.
- Sending JPY: you will need to confirm your MY number along with your ID. Accepted documents are: My Number Card (both sides), My Number notification slip, or Juminhyo with My Number on it.
What if my address changes?If we've already verified your address and it changes, that's no problem. Just upload your new address proof here and we can get it updated for you.
Troubleshooting verification process:
We hope you don't have any issues with verification. But here are a few tips incase you do.
If we don't accept your document:
- It may have some of the information covered. We need to see the full document photo page.
- It may be expired. Please check that your document is still valid before you upload it.
- Your details may not match. Please check that you have entered your name and date of birth correctly on the website.
- We may also need the back of the document. If there is information on both sides, please make sure you upload both for us.
- It may be a document type that we can not accept.
- It may be in a format we can not accept, for example ID documents are not accepted in .PDF format. However, if this is the case, you can make a screenshot of the document, and upload that screenshot, as this will be in .jpg format, which we can accept.
If your ID won't upload:
- Try to upload your documents here. If that doesn't work then send it to email@example.com via email.
If you haven't heard from our team within 5 working days:
We'll email you once we've verified you. So be sure to check the email you use to log into TransferWise first. And if you have a transfer already in progress, we'll automatically resume it.