Customer Complaints Procedure

Customer Complaints Procedure

At TransferWise, we always aim to provide you with the highest standards of service – both through our product, and our Customer Support team, who are always on hand to help with your enquiries. However, we do understand that there may be rare occasions where our service has not met your expectations.

If this is the case, we wish to extend our sincerest apologies to you that you feel we have let you down, and we will remain committed to righting the situation with you wherever possible. We will base our actions and decisions on our Terms and Conditions, including the User Agreement and its additional policies that you have agreed to when using our services by setting up a payment, using our borderless feature or downloading our app.

You can get acquainted with all relevant Terms and Conditions.

The current article contains details of our complaints procedure, and your rights as a consumer.

The procedure has been designed in line with the recommendations and requirements of our regulators in different jurisdictions that you’ll learn from below.

How to make a complaint?

Although you have the right to make a complaint orally, for the sake of a clear understanding of the issues at hand, we would always recommend that you submit your complaint by email to, clearly detailing:
  • your account membership number (beginning with a 'P')
  • the payment order number(s) (beginning with '#') in question (if applicable)
  • the nature of your dissatisfaction or complaint
  • your preferred solution
Your email will be escalated to the correct individual or department. Our Customer Support team receives training on recognising and managing a complaint, and is aware of our internal escalation procedure.

What happens after you issue a complaint?

TransferWise will:
  • Send you a written acknowledgement that your complaint has been received
  • Contact you further should we require any additional information regarding your case 
  • Fully investigate your case and your concerns, followed by issuing a detailed response, including explanation of our decisions, and reasons for our actions.
Please note that sometimes investigations do take some time and you might receive a final response on the matter in 56 working days or fewer. Whenever possible we’ll attempt to work out a solution and send you our findings and decision much sooner.

What to do if you’re not happy with our response?

If you remain dissatisfied with our response, you have the right to forward your concerns to one of the dispute bodies in your region noted below.

PLEASE NOTE: We always encourage you to allow us to undergo our Internal Complaints Procedure before referring your concerns to a dispute body.

United Kingdom, European Union and any other region not listed below:
TransferWise is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the dispute body is Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

You can give the FOS a call from Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm, Saturday – 9am to 1pm
  • 0800 023 4 567- calls to this number are now free on mobile phones and landlines
  • 0300 123 9 123 - calls to this number cost no more than calls to 01 and 02 numbers
These numbers may not be available from outside the UK – so please call from abroad on +44 20 7964 0500
Via email:
Via post: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower London E14 9SR

Customers residing in the European Union also have a right to register a complaint on the European Commission website. The email address to provide for us when prompted is

You may lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority:
Phone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
Australian Financial Complaints Authority
GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001

Time limits may apply to complain to AFCA and so you should act promptly or otherwise consult the AFCA websites to find out if or when the time limit relevant to your circumstances expires.

To pursue a complaint at a dispute body, please call Japan payment association on +81-3-6272-9255 (9:30am to 5:30pm weekdays).

Payment association will act as Ombudsman and process your claims.

United States
You can lodge a complaint online with the following entities - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or your State Regulator.

You can file a complaint online with MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore).

What if your account was deactivated?

If you find that your account has been deactivated, and are unsure why, please email our Verification team at They will advise on the best way to proceed, and will be happy to take a second look, should you feel we have made a mistake.

Was this article helpful?

Talk to our team

Phone, email or chat — our team is ready to help.

Contact us