Acceptable Use Policy
Last updated: 16 May 2017
This acceptable use policy sets out the terms under which you may access our Services. It applies as soon as you access and/or use our Services.
Check the User Agreement for the meaning of defined words (those with capital letters).
1. What you cannot do
1.1 You may use our Services only for lawful purposes. You may not use our Services:
- (a) in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- (b) in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- (c) for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- (d) for anything that is abusive or does not comply with our content standards;
- (e) for any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of spam; or
- (f) to deal in harmful programs like viruses or spyware or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
1.2 We do not provide our Services to businesses or support transactions which involve:
- (a) tobacco, narcotics, steroids, cannabis, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety;
- (b) drug paraphernalia (equipment, product, or material that is modified for making, using, or concealing drugs);
- (c) seeds or plants;
- (d) chemicals;
- (e) military & semi-military goods & services (including weapons, military software or technologies);
- (f) adult content;
- (g) bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies;
- (h) withdrawals from cryptocurrency trading platforms - these will be returned back to the sender;
- (i) binary options; or
- (j) individuals, entities or countries which are subject to international sanctions.
1.3 We do not provide our Services to the following categories of entities:
- (a) charities (unless they are established in Canada, European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland, US or New Zealand);
- (b) unregistered UK charities; or
- (c) trusts (unless they are established in Canada, EEA, Switzerland or US).
- (d) Money Service Businesses or any business that carries on the activity of:
- (i) operating a bureau de change or currency exchange service;
- (ii) transmitting money, or any representation of monetary value, by any means; or
- (iii) cashing cheques which are made payable to customers.
1.4 You also agree:
- (a) not to copy or use any part of our Services in contravention of the provisions of our User Agreement ; and
(b) not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- (i) any part of our Services;
- (ii) any equipment or network on which our Website is stored;
- (iii) any software used in the provision of our Services; or
- (iv) any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
1.5 You may only use your TransferWise Account Number (as we provided to you) to receive funds into your TransferWise Account for the following purposes:
- (a) Receiving your own salary and/or wages;
- (b) Receiving payouts from e-commerce and freelancer platforms;
- (c) Receiving payments from family, friends or other people you know for personal purposes; or
- (d) Receiving payments from your clients and other third parties for the purpose of business payments.
1.6 You shall not use your TransferWise Account for the following purposes:
- (a) receiving payouts or withdrawals from electronic money platforms/services/providers;
- (b) receiving payouts from short term lenders; or
- (c) setting up direct debits on your TransferWise Account.
2. Content standards
2.1 These content standards apply to any material you contribute to our Services (contributions).
2.2 Contributions must:
- (a) be accurate;
- (b) be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- (c) comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted or to which they relate.
2.3 Contributions must not:
- (a) contain any material which is defamatory;
- (b) contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- (c) promote sexually explicit material;
- (d) promote violence;
- (e) promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- (f) infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- (g) be likely to deceive any person;
- (h) be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- (i) promote any illegal activity;
- (j) be threatening in any way, abusive or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- (k) be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- (l) be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- (m) give the impression that they relate to us, if this is not the case; or
- (n) advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
3. Suspension and termination
3.1 We alone will determine whether there has been a breach of this acceptable use policy through your use of our Services.
3.2 We take breach of this policy seriously and may take the following actions:
- (a) immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our Services;
- (b) suspend or cancel your payment orders and take such other actions as we consider necessary;
- (c) immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you;
- (d) issue of a warning;
- (e) legal action against you including proceedings for reimbursement of all costs on an “all expenses” basis; and/or
- (f) reporting and disclosure of information to law enforcement authorities.
4. Changes to the acceptable use policy
4.1 We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You will want to check it regularly as it is legally binding on you.